Using suprapubic cathether, have extreme pain in penis, groin and testicles, extreme pain during bowel movements. Help?

Question
Hi I have had many UTI's for many months & am presently infection free after antibiotic treatment. I am still having burning & extreme pain in penis into groin & testicles. I feel like I'm going to wet myself constantly. I have a suprapubic catheter as I cannot pass urine naturally. When my tummy tells me I need a poo the pain of burning etc is stopping me from going as if the bladder has collapsed onto my bowel. Please help
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I would first recommend you confirm the absence of an infection with a urine culture and sensitivity examination. If the infection is confirmed, then the very same investigation will provide information on the most suitable antibiotic that can be used to completely rid you of the infection.

If the infection is ruled out we will have to look into other aspects of your situation.

The presence of a suprapubic catheter helps in draining the urine directly from the bladder. In such cases, the urethra (which drains urine from the bladder through the penis) is not used. There will exist some stagnant urine in the urethra, and stagnant urine leads to accumulation of bacteria, which almost always results in an infection. Taking a urine sample from the suprapubic catheter might not confirm the infection, as the bacteria is present in the urethra.

I would advise regular flushing of the urethra with sterile fluid and a urine sample collected from the urethra sent to the laboratory for a urine culture examination.

In the meantime, please request your doctor for a urine alkalizer (eg. CITRALKA-Di Sodium Hydrogen Citrate), plenty of water and even cranberry juice if possible. The catheter can constantly irritate the bladder, resulting in pain and burning sensation.

Also, are you mobile sir? It would help your digestion to walk around a little more. I am guessing you have been advised bed rest as the catheter is in place.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.