Using steroids. Tested negative for HIV. Does steroids affect the result?

HIV AIDS Specialist
hello, i been using steroids for about 2 years , i recently took an hiv test 82 days after my possbile exposure, the results were negative, im wondering if the use of steroid will affect my result, i used deca, testosterone, sustenon, also the test that i took was a finger pick , a regular hiv antibody test and PCR RNA test.
thank you in advance for your assistance.
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later

An individual if infected with HIV, the antibody test will become positive after 8-12 weeks and sometimes it may take up to 90 days to become positive. As you suspect, in case of one who is on steroids, it may be possible to get it delayed beyond 3 months. But HIV PCR will not be affected by steroids.

In your case as HIV PCR is negative after 3-4 weeks you need not worry about HIV due to the possible exposure. That is you are free from HIV.

Safe sex is always good and you can avoid unnecessary tension.

Let me know if you have any follow up question.

Good luck to you.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Using steroids. Tested negative for HIV. Does steroids affect the result? 26 minutes later
Thank you Dr. S. XXXXXXX so i dont have to worry about HIV because the PCR RNA TEST will detect the virus correct, even if the test was done at 11 weeks? so this means that i dont have HIV Correct?
Once again thank for your assistance.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later

Thanks again for following up.

Please verify whether you did a DNA PCR or RNA PCR?

HIV PCR test is more sensitive and specific than ELISA and other antibody tests. But for the purpose of diagnosis, DNA PCR is the best and RNA PCR is more useful as a monitoring or prognostic test in the follow up of already HIV positive individual.

So if your DNA HIV PCR Test is negative after 4 weeks (even now after 11 weeks) means that you are not having HIV. Take it as an assurance. Nothing to worry at all...

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Dr S.Murugan