Using sebowash shampoo for seborrhea. Suggested lonax T shampoo. Which shampoo should I use?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
I am 29 yr old male. My height is 182 cm and weight is 92 kgs. waist size is 112 cms.
I have been diagnosed with Seborrhea (acute dandruff with hairfall)

one doctor suggested following--
Start using Sebowash shampoo daily for 7 days and then once a week thereafter.
After first week of sebowash, use shampoo 8x every alternate day, and continue using sebowash once a week.

While other suggested Topisal 3% soln(leave overnight), Ionax T shampoo and CT oil ( half hour before shampoo), Tab Teyin and Cutimin forte.

Now I am confused.
Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later
Hi! XXXXXXX,

Thank you for posting the query,

It is important to first understand what is your exact diagnosis.If you have only seborrhea (dandruff) on the scalp ,then the first treatment which you have mentioned is good enough i.e Sebowash & 8x shampoo. This would help to take away the dandruff and excess oil from the scalp.

But if you have studded scales on the scalp or silver white scales on scalp (as we see in Psoriasis) ,then the second treatment would be beneficial i.e use of Topisal ,Ionax T shampoo & CT oil. This treatment is only reserved for sever cases .

If you have mild scales as we see in dandruff (or sever dandruff) ,then go for the first treatment.Kindly reserve the second treatment if you don't respond to the first treatment .Since the second treatment is only for thick studded scales as we see in psoriasis.

So the treatment depends upon the exact diagnosis.

Hope I've answered your query.

Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.

Follow-up: Using sebowash shampoo for seborrhea. Suggested lonax T shampoo. Which shampoo should I use? 20 hours later
Thanks Dr.

I have started using Ionax T shampoo with ITRA 100 twice daily. and tab teyin in case of itching.

pls advice what should I do for conditioning the hair, as after shampoo hair became very dry. it is said we should not use oil hair in seboorrhea. earlier i use to oil my hair before shampooing but now with medicated shampoo i think we should not.

1)pls advise if hair oil can be used and which oil to use and when and if not oil then how to condition hair.
2) however this doctor had advised T shampoo which is imported and made by DCL laboratoris it was very expensive so i didnt buy it and thinking of using ionax T only. will it work the same or should i spend 1000rs on T shampoo?

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 24 hours later
Hi! XXXXXXX,

Thank you for writing back,

If you have dry dandruff ,then you can use any good hair oil.Some patients have wet dandruff,then oiling hair should be avoided.

Conditioners should be used twice a week only after you have used a shampoo to clean the hair.A conditioner or a hair oil only gives shine to the hair and doesn't nourish the hair .Conditioners should not be used at the roots of hair but instead applied on the surface of hair shaft .Keep it on the surface of hair shaft for a minute and wash it off.
If you still need more shine on the hair (or if your hair is dry) ,then you can use any good hair oil ,like Livon or streax .

Ionex-T shampoo is a pretty strong shampoo and I don't feel a need of any other costly shampoo. Ionex t shampoo should be used twice a week .Kindly use it for about 4 weeks and look for the results .

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Follow-up: Using sebowash shampoo for seborrhea. Suggested lonax T shampoo. Which shampoo should I use? 7 hours later

my 2 queries are--

1) is oiling or conditioning must from hair care point of view specially when shampoo s medicated and quite harsh? however the the brochure inside the ionax T bottle said," for best results donot use any shampoo soap or detergent before or after applying this product". so i am confused whether i should use or not?

2) is there some lotion or oil or cream which i can apply to soothe itching and get rid of the dry thick scales on scalp. like topisol or CT oil etc..

thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 28 hours later
Hi!,

I would answer your question step by step.
1) The purpose of using Ionex T shampoo in your case is to take away the scales and thick dandruff from the scalp.Oiling and conditioning has nothing to do with thick scales which you have.Oiling and conditioning would only help to give you shine and softness to the dry hair especially after using Ionex T.If you feel that Ionex T shampoo is leading to lot of dryness & lusterless hair ,then use any good hair oil or conditioner otherwise not.Oils and conditioner wont work on scales or dandruff.

2) Yes Topisal (3% or 6%) is good to take the scales off and reduce itching too .Topisal is better than CT oil in reducing the itching. Topisal contains Clobetasol propionate 0.05% + Salicylic acid 6% or 3%,which is good to reduce itching .You can even take oral anti-histaminic tablet like Cetrizine (10mg) orally once a day to reduce itching.Itching would gradually reduce as the scales go off.

I hope this answers your query,