Using ketoconazole solution for recurrent itchy dandruff. Is there any permanent cure?

I've been having recurrent dandruff problem for the past 2 and half years. I've been prescribed ketoconazole solution of different strengths over the past few months, and I've tried everything from 1% to 2.5%.

The dandruff and itchiness is generally gone while using the shampoo for about a week or so daily. But after I discontinue the ketoconazole shampoo, it starts to come back after 10 days or so.

What should I do in order to cure this chronic condition, and prevent dandruff from occurring permanently?

Posted Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 19 hours later

Thank you for posting your query,

Dandruff is nothing but a mixture of dry flakes and the oil secreted by the hair roots .Its not a disease ,but becomes troublesome if it is in excess.

If dandruff is in excess, leading studded scales on the scalp then it is known as Seborrhiec dermatitis. This is usually associated with itching.

Ketoconazole shampoo (2%) is a good therapeutic option for the same,but if you have not responded good then you can try 8x shampoo( ciclopiroxolamine ) twice a week .You can also take anti fungal tablet like fluconazole (150mg) once a week for 4 weeks. Along with this you can use Sebowash shampoo once a week .
XXXXXXX you need to understand that having dandruff is not a disease.Its a normal phenomenon of body to loose skin (flakes) and release oil from the hair.It becomes a disease only if it is in excess( seborrheic dermatitis) .I am sorry to tell ,but you may not get any permanent solution for dandruff .Idea of treating a patient in case of dandruff is to keep things under control.

I am sure these medicines will help you good.If you have problem getting these medicines kindly get these drugs prescribed from your dermatologist after his consultation.

Hope I've answered your query.

Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.