Using candid lotion for fungal infection in groin area. White scaly patches on penis. Medication?

Hi Dr.

I have been having a fungal (on & Off) infection in my groin area for a while now (probably close to 10years) for which I use Candid B lotion and its goes away in a few weeks. Now I notice some kind of white scales like patches on the head of the penis. once you wash it goes off like skin peeling of but comes back in the next few hours. If I use Dettol to wash the areas /apply Candid B, it does not come back so soon.
Posted Sat, 7 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

what you have is intertrigo and candidal balanposthitis (scaling on penis head).

It is common in diabetics even if blood sugar is adequately controlled.

you have been using Candid B which contains a steroid along with an antifungal.

What you need is just an antifungal and no steroid. the steroid component prevents the infection to be eradicated completely.

My suggestion is to use Sertaconazole 2% cream twice daily for 15 days over the groin and the penis head. This will cure the infection.
To prevent recurrence you should use Abzorb powder twice daily. This absorb the sweat and also has antifungal properties. It is essential in humid weather like Trivandrum's.

Do not use dettol/savlon over the penis head as the skin there is very sensitive.
Rather, just wash with plain water and soap.

I hope this will solve your problem.

Should you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask me

Follow-up: Using candid lotion for fungal infection in groin area. White scaly patches on penis. Medication? 16 days later
Hi Doctor,

It really helped, I am using onabet with Sertaconazole 2%. It has helped cure the white patches on the penis. however I have sever itching on the scrotum skin, especially the underside. i have applied the cream for 14+ days and now am using the powder. it helping when I put the powder but after a while it starts itching again.

What should I do now.

Thanks again,
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 23 hours later

Good to know that the cream helped you.
Itching in the under area of the scrotum is most commonly dermatitis rather than fungal infection.

I would like to see a picture of the scrotal skin before suggesting further treatment as the treatment of dermatitis is different from the treatment of fungal infection.

Awaiting your response

Follow-up: Using candid lotion for fungal infection in groin area. White scaly patches on penis. Medication? 9 days later
Hi Doctor,

Attached are photos of the Scrotal skin, The itching is quite sever and now extends to between the legs (occasionally) and to anal area (also occasionally). Though I feel a bit of tenderness at times, not pus or skin comes off, just the itch and I also notice that there is no redness either. I have also not used any medicine apart from the Onabet you prescribed. I notice the itch increasing during night and it really disturbs my sleep.

Thanks and regards,
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 20 hours later

Thanks for the pics.
As suspected the scrotal skin has dermatitis only.

Use execare cream once daily at night and take tab atarax 25 mg one tab befor sleep.
Do this for a couple of weeks and revert.