Using antibiotic cream for nasal polyps. Suggest some diet plan and natural method for cure

Oncologist, Radiation
Hi, My 12 year old daughter has just been told she has nasal polyps which I have suffered from for years. She has been prescribed an antibiotic cream to apply but not been referred to an ent clinic. I would like to know if there is anything I can do to help prevent them getting worse i.e diet etc or a natural way of dealing with them. She does not suffer from asthma,hayfever or allergies that I am aware of. I only became aware that she has polyps as she has been suffering from nosebleeds. Your advice would be appreciated.
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query at XXXXXXX forum.

I can understand your concern. I would like to have some more information to guide you better.

- Is there any associated symptoms like loss of smell, nasal obstruction, snoring?
- Is it bilateral or unilateral?
- Is there any nasal discharge?
- Does your daughter complain of dull headache?
- Does she have any growth abnormality?

There are 2 major types of nasal polyps.

1] Antrochoanal ( anterior)
- Single, Unilateral
- Can originate from maxillary sinus
*Usually found in children

2] Ethmoidal (posterior)
- Bilateral
*Usually found in adults

Bleeding is an uncommon symptom. So your daughter should be examined by an experienced ENT surgeon.

Ideal investigation of choice is

- Rigid or flexible endoscopy (rhinoscopy) carried out by specialists - this allows localisation and determination of the extent of the polyps.

If diagnosis of polyp is confirmed then medical treatment will be helpful.

Topical corticosteroids like Mometasone furoate are the the mainstay of medical management: in most patients, they improve symptoms and reduce recurrence after surgery.

Nasal drops are preferred to sprays for nasal polyps. They should be used in the 'head upside down' position.

For the large polyp there is an option of medical polypectomy.

Other options are
- Antihistamine (if allergic rhinitis is present).
- Nasal douche (saline).
- Leukotriene receptor antagonists.
- Antibiotic - long-term macrolide.
- Azelastine

Consult your doctor in this issue. And do ask for a referral to an ENT.

Hope I have answered your queries. Please keep me posted for follow up.

Follow-up: Using antibiotic cream for nasal polyps. Suggest some diet plan and natural method for cure 18 hours later
Thankyou for your reply the polyps she has are in both nostrils and I presume are anterior as they can be seen easily. There are no associated symptoms i.e loss of smell etc. but she has been complaining of a dull headache but not constantly. She does have nasal discharge(mucus) but she has no growth abnormality.

My daughters GP has prescribed Naspetin Nasal Cream which I understand is an antibiotic cream and wants to see her again in 2 weeks at which time I will ask for referral to ENT.
Could the headache be associated with the nose bleeds and could it be something completely unassociated with the polyps?
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 4 hours later
Thanks for posting.

The major symptom of a Sinus Polyp Headaches is a dull, frequent headache that seems to occur due to increased sinus pressure. This major characteristic is often accompanied by other symptoms that occur when polyps are the root of the headache.

Other causes of headache are too little sleep or sudden changes in sleep patterns,skipping meals,becoming dehydrated,being under a lot of stress,using the computer or watching TV for a long time,vision problems, migraine.

Nose bleeds are not a common association but needs further careful examination.

The decision to treat them would depend on your physician. Please do consult an ENT surgeon.