Using Nizoral for dandruff on scalp, itching, flaking, boils on forehead. Suggest quick remedy

hi doctor,
I have dandruff on my scalp for the past three weeks. I have using nizoral which does'nt help me get rid of it. Its sometimes itchy and flaky. I get small boils on my forehead because of it. I use parachute hot oil before shampooing. Pls suggest quick remedy for it.
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 13 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Treatment of seborrhea (dandruff) is directed at fighting the skin inflammation. This is done either directly, by using cortisone-based creams and lotions (which reduce inflammation), or by reducing the yeast that builds up on scaly areas and adds to the problem.

Shampoos: Here are some ingredients in medicated shampoos that you can look for to help control dandruff of the scalp. All are available over the counter.
tar (T/Gel), salicylic acid, zinc pyrithione (like Head & Shoulders), selenium sulfide (Selsun Blue), ketoconazole (Nizoral). You can use any of these either all of the time or just once or twice a week, depending on how severe your symptoms are. If the problem quiets down or disappears, stop and use nonmedicated shampoos. If one kind of shampoo works for a while and "runs out of gas XXXXXXX switch to another.

Creams: Two additional types of medication that help seborrhea are cortisone creams and antifungal creams. Cortisone creams reduce inflammation. You can buy them over the counter in either 0.5% or 1% concentrations. Antifungal creams are often effective, apparently because they reduce the number of yeast organisms living on the skin. Over-the-counter creams include 1% clotrimazole cream and miconazole cream 2%.

Apart from this you can try Trichup anti dandruff shampoo and oil, even i have personally tried this and are effective.

Even after conservative approach if the symptoms persists i advice you to see dermatologist who can recommend prescription-strength shampoos or antifungal and cortisone creams that are stronger than those available over the counter, yet are not too strong to use on the face.

Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.