Using Fixadent and had metallic taste in mouth, dizziness and stomach cramps. Started boot product but felt sick

Dec 2012

I have been using Fixadent & have had to stop because I was experiencing side Metalic taste in mouth, dizziness & mild stomach cramps. I stopped & started using a Boots product which did not contain zinc but I felt sick & dizzy immediately so have stopped that also. I am feeling dizzy at the moment. How long will it take for the zinc levels to return to normal & is there anything I can do to help my self? There is one other problem also & that is I am having difficulty getting food down my gullet. There is no reflux & I can swallow it ok but can feel it all the way down & it feels sore even when I am not eating. I am 75yrs old.
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your symptoms might be related to GERD

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting,

It is possible that you have developed gastroesophageal reflux diseases (GERD) which has been caused probably by the use of fixadent. The description of your presenting symptoms including the fact that you can hardly get food through your gullet could be related to GERD. In this case, you will require appropriate treatment for this with proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole, lanzoprazole etc. This GERD might have complicated to an oesophageal inflammation or hypertrophy which then makes it difficult to swallow.
I suggest you see a gastroenterologist (if you are able to see one) or see a throat downward so as to identify any problems. Given your age, it would be wise for any of your doctors to try to rule out any tumors or cancer.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah