Used razor from a patient who have pancreatic disorders and HIV. Chances of the getting the disease?

Nov 2013

Hi , i am Samuel one of my friend who had a pancreatic disorders and he got admitted in the hospital , followed by this he had few tests along with a blood test , unfortunately the blood test resulted in HIV+ , in early days about a year back we were staying together i don't remember have i used his shaving razor or blade but my mind tells me that i might have also got affected by HIV , to be honest i have never even had any kind of sexual contact with any one except my wife , but i was scared and i decided to go and check with a physician today and i took a test it came up with one dark line and the lab technician told me there is faint line , he did it twice and he told the same , i saw the card all i could see is one line the other one was not at all visible .and now the doctor have advised the lab technician to send my blood for ELISA and western bolt , now i need to wait for the result for 2 days , i am really scared and frustrated now please help me on this ..
Posted Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on your history, there is very little chance of you coming HIV positive.

The risk factors for acquiring HIV infection such as having unprotected sex, sharing needles for injections, blood transfusions, etc are not there in you.

Anyway, the final news would come in 2 days and I am sure it would be a good news.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Follow-up: Used razor from a patient who have pancreatic disorders and HIV. Chances of the getting the disease? 1 hour later

But i would like to hear about something about the faint line on the rapid testing which came up on it , am i still on danger??? coz the doc told me 50-50 , and more over its been more than one year and above without sex . so if i am affected for sure then the rapid testing would have come up with two lines , i mean the exact results . and its more than a year , I believe this time is more than enough for that instrument to find that am i really affected or not .. please help out on this ..
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for getting back.

Faint line means it is not conclusive. It can be either positive or negative. As you correctly said, one year is a long time. And we should get a definite result in someone who is HIV positive. This means you are most likely HIV negative.

Moreover, HIV ELISA is a non specific test and positive results can be found in some normal people also.

So, in cases where we have doubts on ELISA, we normally go for Western Blot test, which is more specific and confirmatory.

I think for all practical purposes, you are out of danger and the good news would soon come.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM