Used high estrogen pills for depression. Mirena coil removed causing terrible ovulation pain, palpitations. Pill to control pain ?

I started on the oill at the age of 18 for severe period pain.Was on high oestrogen pills until 35 but always caused mood swings and slight depression. Had the mirena coil inserted 2 years ago and was great but developed weight gain and extremely irritable leg syndrome. Had coil removed and allowed hormnoes to settle but unfortunately still gat terrible ovulation pain- pass out, sickness ect. I was satrted back on femodene which gave me palpitaions, insomnia and hot flushes as did cilest. Trying qlaira but not settling with hot flushes and palpitations but i had also been started on mirapexin for the irritable legs. I have just stopped this as i have been told this can cause hot flushes , palpitations and sleep disturbance. Was due to see GP today but she cancelled as she is poorley and need advise. I just want a pill with fewer side effects which will control the pain

Kind regards

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
You are prone to the side effects caused by the oral contraceptives. Since most of these side effects are caused by the estrogen component, you can opt for minipills which contain only a low dose of progesterone.
Another option is a triphasic pill which contains a gradually increasing concentration of hormones according to the phase of the cycle.
You can discuss about these options with your GP who can then choose the pill best suitable for you after ruling out the contraindications.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.