Used hair removal cream on vagina. Having burning sensation. What to do?

Question
On Monday I used Veet hair removal cream on my vagina. I noticed it burned more then usual. I usually use this method for hair removal. Since then my vagina has been extremely sensitive. It burns when anything touches it, such as clothes as urine. There is no itching. Today I have noticed I have one blister on my labia. Never had one before and a small bump on my vagina. They appeared after the veet. Did the veet cause the blister? I am wondering if I had a reaction or burned myself with the veet
Posted Sat, 1 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 51 minutes later

It looks like irritant contact dermatitis to the hair removing cream. First of all, do not apply Veet any more. Wash the area with a mild cleanser with moisturizing properties like Cetaphil. XXXXXXX it dry. Then apply a good hypoallergenic moisturizer over the area or use a thin layer of Vaseline. Creams containing ceramides and calamine lotion may be helpful but avoid use of any creams containing propylene glycol, lactic acid, urea or salicylic acid.

Also you can take oral antihistaminics like Benadryl or Zyrtec and use topical steroids but don’t take them without a medical supervision unless prescribed by your doctor. He will start with mild steroids first. Topical immunomodulators like pimecrolimus and tacrolimus can be used in severe conditions but they are available under prescription.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Used hair removal cream on vagina. Having burning sensation. What to do? 7 hours later
What are some good over the counter creams to heal the blister quickly and to ease the pain and swelling?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 16 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

You can apply calamine lotion on the rashes and Neosporin cream on the blister. Also take antiallergic like Benadryl or Claritin( both may cause drowsiness).