Used hair removal cream in genital area. Having itching, skin peeling off and burning during urination. Herpes?

I used veet hair removal cream for gential area After that I had severe itching redness and burning sensation when peeing Could I have herpes
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is not likely herpes

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is most likely a reaction to the use of the veet. Different areas of the skin may respond in a different way to chemical agents.
The itching and redness sound typical of a reaction to an allergen or irritant , in this case the veet.

The burning on urination would have occurred as a result of the itching and scratching. Small superficial excoriations occur due to scratching , as urine passes over them, there would be burning.

Treatment would involve the application of a mild topical steroid to reduce the inflammation, for example hydrocortison, cutivate, elocon.

Genital herpes occurs due to vaginal, oral or anal intercourse. It is due to direct contact with lesions though there is also a reduced risk of transmission when an infected person is asymptomatic.

It would present with initial discomfort followed by redness then blisters . These blisters would then open to form small superficial ulcers.
There is usually pain in all of these stages.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions