Used dexona and practin to gain weight. Stopped medication and weight decreased. What to do?

Dec 2014

i used dexona and practin tablet to gain weight as i was underweight as compare to my age and height.. and after use of 2 months i stopped the tablet... my weight was before 43kg. after use of d tablet it reaches at 52kg in 2 months..but when i discontinue d tablet my weight regularly decreases. my weight now 45kg. pls tell me if there is any problem in future. pls sir tell me what can be d solution as i can't use the tablet for lifetime....
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Weight
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Dexona is a steroid drug and it is a drug which is used in a number of illnesses but this drug is also abused for weight gain. The drug can cause immunosupression, deranged hormonal profile especially of cortisol, osteoporosis, development of cushings disease, depressed mood etc side effects.

Practin is a drug which contains cyproheptadine. This is a drug used to increase appetite and it has sedation as side effect.

You used to have 43 kg weight and then you used these drugs and gained about 9 kg weight and then lost the weight gain on discontinuation of drugs. I would not recommend you to use Dexona for weight gain as the drug will cause serious side effects in you in long term. Practin can be used to increase appetite if taken for short periods of time and under proper prescription.

To increase your weight you have to work hard as gaining weight is as difficult as losing weight.

- Get your Thyroid Function Tests done in order to check for any hyperthyroid state to rule out thyroid as cause of weight loss.

- Exercise daily for at lease 30 mins in order to maintain your basal metabolic rate.
- If possible try to avoid medicines of abuse to increase weight as the weight gain will be of short duration and as long as you stop taking medicine you will loose the weight again.
- Take proper Vitamin supplements with Vitamin B12 and folic acid. These will improve any anaemic condition.
- You can use Omega 3 Fatty acid soft gels as these will improve your mood and off label will help you to increase weight gain.
- Take meals with plenty of refined carbohydrates, as carbohydrates help to increase weight. You can take banana shake daily in morning and evening. Banana shake help to increase weight.

- Some people use Endura Mass and this supplement have good results in weight gain. But remember if you have to maintain the weight then exercise daily for maintenance of BMR.

Hope this helps you, if you have more queries you can ask again.