Use Zynase, Annovate every time on hemorrhoid flare up, no relief this time. Suggestion?

General Surgeon
I have external hemorrhoids that got diagnosed 4 years ago (Feb 2009). Whenever they flare up, I take Zynase D and apply Annovate ointment (both once a day). This time, I have done this for 2 weeks and although there is relief but the external hemorrhoids have not gone completely.
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 22 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

The main problem with hemorrhoids is that no medicine can permanently cure them. Hemorrhoids are enlarged veins (varicose veins) which when become large, are unable to shrink or disappear. Medicines mentioned by you can help with symptoms, make hemorrhoids less visible; but this is just temporal effect.

Every patient with hemorrhoids sooner or later will need a surgery to remove them. And this is what needs to be done at your case.

You may try sitz baths with Quercus Cortex, increase fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water intake. Make sure you after every stool and do not push hard on stool. These measure might help for some time, but I suggest you to visit general surgeon and consider surgery.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.

Follow-up: Use Zynase, Annovate every time on hemorrhoid flare up, no relief this time. Suggestion? 1 hour later
Thank you Doctor. Any medicine you prescribe, apart from the bath and those mentioned in my question, that might be more successful?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 hours later
Generally any OTC suppositories for hemorrhoids should have some effect on your hemorrhoids. You may try Lidocaine + Tribenoside suppositories (prescription might be necessary). But please don`t expect any spectacular changes. It may help with symptoms, but wont solve your problem permanently. And if there will be no improvement in a week or so, you should see general surgeon.

Hope this will help.