Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine test shows e.coli. Scheduled ureteroscopy for a kidney stone. Worry regarding test?

Question
HI TOOK URINE TEST IT SAYS GREATER THAN 100,000 COL/ML ESCHERICHIA COLI. HAVING URETEROSCOPY SURGERY NEXT WEEK FOE 11MM STONE IN KIDNEY. A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT TEST . COULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN IT TO ME.THANK YOU
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 1 hour later

E.coli (Escherichia coli) is the organism responsible for more than 80% of strain is commonly seen causing urethritis, cystitis in people.

Females are more prone to urinary tract infections.

I guess you did urine report and the report is a culture report
Since there are very high colony count of the bacteria, you will need to get treated for the infection and the possibility of infection can be due to a partial obstruction of urinary tract due to stone.

As you are due for surgery it is important to get treated to avoid any sort of possible complication.

You will need treatment with broad spectrum antibiotics like Levofloxacin or Cefuroxime and in a week’s time you will be fine.

Please consult your Urologist with reports and get an appropriate antibiotic prescribed.

In case of any query please write back.

If you don't have any questions please accept this answer.

Follow-up: Urine test shows e.coli. Scheduled ureteroscopy for a kidney stone. Worry regarding test? 38 minutes later
DR. HAS NOT CALLED ME TO GIVE ME MEDICATION DO YOU THINK HE IS WAITING FOR ME TO HAVE THE SURGERY TO START THE MEDICATION. WOULD THIS MAKE THE SURGERY XXXXXXX WITHOUT STARTING THE MEDICATION NOW. THANK YOU AGAIN. MAYBE I SHOULD EMAIL HIM .I THOUGHT HE WOULD CALL ME AFTER READING THE RESULTS.

Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 7 hours later

Thanks for writing back your query.

Patients with E. coli UTI (symptoms, ranging from asymptomatic cystitis to symptoms like burning in urine, increased frequency and fever.
Colonization is differentiated from infection based on urinalysis results.
In cases of infection, pyuria (pus in urine) is usually present.

Here I guess you do not have any symptoms so probably you have just E. coli colonization.

The cause in your case is obstructive (that is the stone) and so your doctor is waiting for surgical removal of your stone.

Do not worry as your doctor will start antibiotics preoperatively and you will not have any problems.

Still if you have any apprehension please discuss with your treating doctor.

Hope I have addressed your concerns.

Please accept this answer in case you do not have any further queries.