Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine test showed WBC. Treated for UTI. Had antibiotics, vanzdaole and bactrium. Are all related?

I have already been treated for a UTI based on a urine sample, with a round of antibiotics, Bactrim (SP)
However when I went in for a 2 week check up today my urine sample still showed a +2 WBC, what does this mean? My pcp placed me on Vanzdaole vaginal 0.75% and but didnt tell me why
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 4 hours later
thanks for the query.

Vandazole gel contains the active ingredient known as metronidazole which is a drug effective in treatment of anaerobe bacteria, parasites and protozoa such as Giardia, Trichomoniasis etc. The vaginal cream in particular is used once to twice daily and is indicated for the treatment of bacterial vaginosis or Gardnerella vaginitis or nonspecific vaginitis. It is not effective in treating yeast vaginal infections (Candidal vaginosis).

As regards the urine analysis results, two white blood cells in urine in normal especially giving the fact that you recently had a UTI. It could be problematic in case you were still presenting with the symptoms of the UTI after completing the round of antibiotics.

Bactrim is effective in treatment of UTI and it has been widely use with acceptable effectiveness.

So, if you are not having re-occurrence of the symptoms of your UTI then the urine test results are just normal.

Hope this answers your query. If you have more query, i will be waiting to help.
Best regards.
Follow-up: Urine test showed WBC. Treated for UTI. Had antibiotics, vanzdaole and bactrium. Are all related? 7 minutes later
Ok so should I take the vandazole? She prescribed based solely on the fact that I had 2 WBC in my urine analysis and low back pain
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 18 minutes later
thanks once more for the query.

The presence of two WBC in urine does not imply UTI and vandazole cream is not indicated for UTI. However, your doctor might have another reason for prescribing that since she is the one who saw you before and is following you up. So it will be better to discuss with her on why she prescribed it.

Hope this answers your query. If you do not have further query you could close the discussion and rate the answers.
Best regards.