Ask a Urologist   »  

Urine incontinence, leakage. had vaginal hysterectomy for uterine fibroids. low grade fever, blood in urine post surgery. Bladder infection or symptoms due to surgery ?

I have been going to the dr on and off now for about a year feeling like I have a urinary tract/bladder infection. Sometimes when I go it shows I do have one and sometimes it shows I don't. I have been up at night going to the bathroom a lot with it and also have incontenance issues, where if I sneeze I wet a bit or even just jumping or some sort of excercize. I recently had a vaginal hysterectomy because of uterine fibroids. They weren't that large but the dr thought that possibly they could of been putting pressure on my bladder so he suggested the hysterectomy. I am still up going to the bathroom and just last week have a confirmed bladder infection again with blood in the urine. I have also been feeling like I have a low grade fever since the surgery but all my blood work looks good except the bladder infection. I would like to know if you can help me explain an answer to why I am having these on and off and could I have a bladder issue (like low grade infection all the time) instead of it being caused by the fibroids?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 10 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on the description provided I feel that,

Hysterectomy would not have helped you.

Although very rare, you should get yourself investigated for genitourinary tuberculosis.

It is possible that you might be having a low grade infection, we call it chronic UTI.

If all your tests come negative then you should get a cystoscopy done to know the reason for your recurrent urinary tract infections.

As fas as your stress incontinence is concerned you should start yourself on keegel's exercises and also duloxetine under the care od urologist.

Hope I was able to clear your doubts, do get back to me if you have any further queries.