Ask a Urologist   »  

Urgency to urinate, discomfort, burning sensation after passing urine. No UTI. Is cystoscopy safe during pregnancy?

hi doctor, i have following symptoms for the past one year on and off> urgency to urinate, discomfort, burning sensation after passing urine, once had blood in my urine. I did all test for UTI but there is no sign of any infection. i consulted a urologist he took a scan(all seems to be fine execpt the POst Void Ratio was 80ml) he said everything is normal and asked me to drink more water (i am surprised to hear that). But after few days i had same symptoms for three days but no blood in urine ... so planned for a cystoscopy . I am weeks 4 pregnant now is it safe to do cystoscopy ? what type of anesthesia will be given? will it affect my pregnancy? pls help i am scared of this procedure.
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ioan Dorian OANA 1 hour later

Cystoscopy generally is a very safe test, so you should not worry, you have just to notify your doctor about being pregnant. Cystoscopy is usually carried out with local anaesthesia, but it can be performed with spinal, or general anesthesia too.

This investigation will not affect your pregnancy and you do not have any reason to be scared of this procedure. It is very important to be carried out, because you have to find out the cause of your symptoms and probably to start a treatment.

I am looking forward to your reply.

If you have any more queries, feel free to ask.

Dr. Dorian Oana MD, PhD