Ask a Urologist   »  

Urgency to urinate, burning sensation while urinating. Diagnosed with prostatomegaly. Is it serious?

30 Yr old, male.
I am having burning sensation, urgency, and pain in while urinating since last one week. My doctor treated me with Norflox-400 and asked me get my urine tested and abdomen scanned. Rest all came out fine but my prostate size was reported 27cc volume, which is concerning me as the radiologist has reported prostatomegaly. However, my Doc says that it is not of any concern as urine test is not showing any bacteria/ blood outfolw.

Please guide me if I should consult some Specialist Doctor for further treatment. Though the symptoms are subsiding, but I am concerned about growth in prostate at this early age.

Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 50 minutes later
Hello Dear XXXXXX

Thanks for using XXXXXXX

I have gone through the reports attached. Your report shows prostate size of 3.1x4.4x3.9 cm and volume of 27 cc. This shows presence of mild prostatomegaly, which is not much significant.
A healthy adult prostate weighs about 20–25 grams,20-25cc and it measures 4 x 2.5 x 3 centimeters.

The size of the prostate varies with age. Around the age of 40, the prostate gland tends to enlarge as the result of a condition called benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH).

You need not worry about this mild prostatomegaly. It will not cause any symptoms or obstruction to urine flow. Just complete the course of antibiotics for present symptoms of urinary tract infection.

Hope this solves your query.
For more queries you can write to me.

Thank you.

Follow-up: Urgency to urinate, burning sensation while urinating. Diagnosed with prostatomegaly. Is it serious? 3 hours later
Dear Dr Karale,

Thanks for the answer.

I am relieved to know that the growth is not going to cause any consequences. Still following is concerned:

1. However, I would like to mention that the symptoms like burning sensation and frequent urgency I experience in mild form very often since last few years.

2. It is evident that my prostate size is on larger limit of acceptable domain, it may so happen that its growth progresses and then becomes a cause for symptoms/disease/complication at a later stage.

I have been advised my XXXXXXX friends for Neeri Tablet. Can I go for regular intake of it for a long time. Though it is a herbal tablet, I am not sure whether it has any side effects.

Answered by Dr. Maruti Karale 1 hour later

Thanks for getting back to me.

Burning sensation during urination and frequent urgency can occur for various reasons and is said to be one of the most common symptoms in men. It can be due to recurrent fungal infection like candida, prostatitis, cystitis (infection of bladder), renal or ureteric calculi.

Sometimes even drugs also can cause concentrated urine and burning.

For your concern, possibility of recurrent urinary tract infection is more, as you have similar history of UTI in past. Cause for recurrent UTI should also be ruled out. I would like to suggest to complete antibiotics course, drink more water and take urinary alkalizer like syp.cital or tab.neeri. This will help you to get rid of these symptoms.

Your view about size of prostate is right. Prostate size may progress over time and cause more symptoms. But prostate size will start increasing after the age of 40 and there will not be any significant increase till the age of 55. Prostate problems usually start after the age of 55 and everyone is at risk of developing such problems after this age. Till the time you need to go for any surgery, there is no prophylactic surgery for such problems.

Neeri is a herbal medicine clinically and experimentally proven for the use of urinary disorders like kidney stones, UTI, cystitis, prostate enlargement and burning micturition. It prevents recurrent episodes of UTI also. As a herbal product, it is not having any side effects. Hence, can be continued for long term.

Hope this solves your query.
Thank you.