Upper eyelid twitching, ear infection, eyelid spasms, left arm and thigh twitches. Causes ?

For the past month and a half, I've been having upper eyelid twitches in my left eye. Since last week now, it affects both eyes. Also, I noticed that it usually twitches when my eyes are closed. It is hard for me to fall asleep now because of this. I get adequate sleep and I am not anxious. I did however have an ear infection 3 weeks ago, but the intial eyelid spasms started alittle before the infection. I now have what seems to be a sinus infection of some sort because I have sinus pressure, but again; the initial twitching started before any infections. Lastly, I've been noticing twitches on my left arm and thigh. I dont know if that is from the newly stress that I'm putting myself through because of they eyelid twitching or if it is related. Please advise. Thanks.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 2 hours later

From the history given, it seems that you might be having benign essential blepharospasm. Usually such Eye twitch usually goes away on its own within a few days, and present on and off over months.

In your case since the twitching is persistent since 6 weeks - presence of additional symptoms mentioned below - might need proper evaluation.
1. Your eyelid completely closes with each twitch
2. Twitching happens in other parts of your face as well
3. Your eye is red, swollen or has discharge, or you notice drooping eyelids.

In case you have additional symptoms mentioned above, you might need to be evaluated for conditions like tourettes syndrome or any other neurological conditions that might be coexisting.

Treatment with medications to control the hyperactive nerve-muscle units might help to reduce the symptoms. Such medications might include beta-blockers, which are prescription medications.

You might consult your treating doctor or a opthalmologist who can examine your eyes and provide the necessary treatment and advice.

I hope this helps.

I shall be available for any follow up questions that you might be having.
Follow-up: Upper eyelid twitching, ear infection, eyelid spasms, left arm and thigh twitches. Causes ? 4 hours later
I do not have any of the three symptoms that you mentioned. I have no other facial twitching, no red or swollen eyes, and my eye do not close when it twitches. Again, when I close my eyes on my own, thats when the twitching begins. I never had a history of this before, this just started about a month ago. The only thing that I did have was an ear infection that lasted about a week and a half and now I currently have sinus pressure and sinus headaches this week. I dont know if that is related or not to the eye twitching.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 10 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

In that case, you might be having benign blepharospasm, which might be related, this might soon resolve on its own. In case your symptoms appear to be severe, you might benefit by prescription medications with beta blockers (as mentioned above).

You might consult your doctor for a examination and prescription of specific medications to control your symptoms.

I hope this helps.

Wish you a speedy recovery.