Upper arm pain, lumps in inner elbow, lymphangitis, lymph node enlargement

Hi I'm a male, 6ft tall and weigh about 80kg. My upper arm started to hurt about 1 week ago and a string of small lumps started to form from my inner elbow, up through my inner arm to my armpit. My arm hurts like muscle pain and the inner muscle crossing my elbow is very tight- the pain also spreads sometimes into my lower arm and also my shoulder. I'm currently in Africa and the Dr told me that this is a fish allergy but I'm wary of this diagnosis. Can you please help in suggesting what might be wrong with me, it doesn't seem to be going away and also what I can do to treat this?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 7 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

I need to know certain things first to confirm my diagnosis:
Do you have fever?
Did you eat fish and are you normally allergic to fish?
Were you bitten by any insect?
Did you get any pathological investigations done?

Kindly get Complete Blood Count with Urine (Routine, Micro) done, if you have not got it done yet. Post the results as early as possible.

Meanwhile, you may do some cold fomentation for instant relief with a piece of ice kept in handkerchief.

(1) You need to take some NSAID along with an antihistaminic like Levocetrizine
(2) For faster action a low dose Oral Steroid (methylprednisolone) can also be started with H2 Receptor Blocker (Ranitidine) instead of previous drugs.

Kindly consult your nearest doctor for getting prescribed the above medications with appropriate dosage after examining you.

Waiting eagerly for you follow-up.