Unsafe sex, missed periods, pregnancy test, urine test, emergency contraceptives, termination of pregnancy

Hi Doctor,
My age is 40, height is 5'2, weight 57kg. My doubt is with regards pregnancy. On the 22nd of August we had unsafe sex with the semen spilling inside. My First day of the period was on the 13th of August till 17th August. I am worried, if I will get pregnant which I don't want. Also I need to tell you that my monthly periods are always on time. Please tell me the way out.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 15 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding your situation. I am sure you have some anxiety about what is going on and we will work on this together.

From the information that you submitted the circumstances which you report could possibly place you at risk for pregnancy. I recommend that you go to your local pharmacy to obtain a pregnancy test. You may wait and get the pregnancy test done if you miss your period. At that point if you are pregnant, a pregnancy test would yield a positive result. These are very easy tests to perform at home with a simple urine test.

Rather than talk about options for termination of the pregnancy I would rather test to see if you are pregnant or not. In the event that you are actually not pregnant we will have nothing else to worry about.

Again I thank you for submitting your question. I can appreciate that you are dealing with some anxiety about this and I would love to help you get through that. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert.
Follow-up: Unsafe sex, missed periods, pregnancy test, urine test, emergency contraceptives, termination of pregnancy 37 hours later
Thanks doctor, but my concern is still there. My age and my health problems does not permit me the XXXXXXX of being a mother again. I wanted to know , if there are ways to avoid getting pregnant in such a situation. Please provide me your guidance..
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 hours later
Hello and thanks for the followup,

There is an option for you in the form of medication which would cause an immediate period and shedding of the uterine lining. This is usually available in prescription form so I urge you to contact your physician for this prescription. You do not need it however if you are not pregnant.

So the only way to address this concern if this situation happens again is in the form of an emergency type of contraceptive which is available through a pharmacy.

Thanks again for the query and followup. I hope my answer has addressed your concerns appropriately. If I can be of further assistance please let me know.

Dr. Galamaga