Unprotected sex, cravings, dizziness, tender breast, negative HPT, normal period. Pregnant?

Dr. I am very concerned and mostly confused. The first day of my last period was April 18th so according to ovulating calculator i was ovulating May 1-6th, I had unprotected intercorse May 2nd. My husband and I are trying to gt pregnant. I alreday have a 8 year old son, I dont remember the feeling but for the last 2 weeks I feel pregnant, I have craveings.. dizziness, tender breast, and light headahces.. the thing is that my period came on time this month, on May 18th the strange thing is that it lasted more than normal ( 6 days ) I have taken a hpt and it came out negative, Is there a possibility that I can be pregnant? why do I feel pregnant? Please help!
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 50 minutes later

Since you had periods this month and the HPT(home pregnancy test) is negative the possibilty of the pregnancy is Nil .

The symptoms like cravings, dizziness , tender breast , light headaches are not specific for pregnancy , normal pregnancy symptoms like nausea, vomiting, breasttenderness are all subjective symptoms and pregnanccy cannot be diagnosed on these symptoms,HCG test and abdominal scan are the confirmatory test .

The above symptoms might have been caused because of the changes in prolactin hormone or the imbalance between estrogen and progesterone hormones leading to a kind of withdrawal bleeding.

Since you are having these symptoms over 2 weeks i suggest you to consult the doctor for routine check up and check your Hb(Haemoglobin) level also.As low Hb can cause dizziness and light headaches.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Unprotected sex, cravings, dizziness, tender breast, negative HPT, normal period. Pregnant? 49 minutes later
So there is no possibility that I could be pregnant if I got my period? Is 2 1/2 weeks to soon for the hcg levels to be high enough for a htp? I'm just certain I am.. am I just going insane?
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 2 hours later
Hi Again ,

Thanks for the follow up query.

Your doubts are valid. Let me explain ,
The positivity of the test depends on the HCG level and it can be satisfactorily detected by 2 weeks off missing periods.
HPT can show the False negative if the urine is more diluted or if the proper urine sample has not used or if the HCG level is less than the normal.

As i mentioned earlier only blood HCG estimation and the abdominal/vaginal scan done at 5-6 weeks off missing periods can confirm the pregnancy.

Hope this helps you.

Follow-up: Unprotected sex, cravings, dizziness, tender breast, negative HPT, normal period. Pregnant? 2 hours later
Yes I understand and I apologize for my stubbornness.. but I haven't missed a period, I had it May 18-23. Do you think its a possibility I be pregnant? And if so should I wait 2 weeks from the 18th to take a blood rest... Sorry I'm just full of doubt hearing stories about a huge possibility of being pregnant and on your period. Thank you in advance :)
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 25 minutes later
Hi Again ,

Thanks for your follow up query.

Since you had periods very recently and for prolonged days it is 99% it is impossible since the decidual layer of the uterus will shed in every periods and it is this layer that fertilized egg grows for the initial period of the pregnancy and the pregnancy hormones seizes the shedding of the decidua once the fertilization happens.

1% chance because if the shedding is incomplete but this happens remotely.

Yes, periods can happen during first month of conception but it will be just spotting.

There is no scope for the blood test but for your assurance you can do it.

Hope this helps you.

Wish you good health.