Underwent endoscopy for acidity problem. Does the endoscopy report indicate any abnormality?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi I got my endoscopy results done today and need help with my report analysis.. Kindly explain me this result line by line. I need help please. Below are the report details, please explain line by line: Indication: GERD/ DU premedication : Midazolem 3 Mg oesophagus : Linear erosion seen at lower end Stomach : Normal fundus, body and Antrum Duodenum : Normal D1 and D2 Biopsy/ theraphy : Nill Impression : Oesophagitis Grade A Please help as I am worried with this report. Kindly help me to understand this report and also let me know what is normal and what is abnormal. I did this test as I have acidity problem. Please let me know if any other details needed. thanks XXXX
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 29 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. Here is the explanation - Your doctor had the diagnosis of acid reflux (GERD)/ an ulcer in mind and to confirm it, he did an upper GI endoscopy. It was done under sedation. Injection Midazolam was given to sedate you so that you will not feel the discomfort during endoscopy procedure. In upper GI endoscopy, the food pipe, the stomach and the upper part of small intestine are seen with the help of an endoscopy. Your stomach and duodenum (upper part of small intestine) appeared normal during endoscopy. But your food pipe (esophagus) showed some lesions. The inner lining of your food pipe showed linear ulcerations. They are small ulcers only and in severity they come under grade A (least severe). This is mentioned in the diagnosis as Grade A esophagitis. You need to take medications for about 8 weeks for complete healing of these lesions. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Underwent endoscopy for acidity problem. Does the endoscopy report indicate any abnormality? 24 minutes later
Hi Dr XXXXXXX sir.. Thanks for your reply. I am on medication of nexpro 40. Doc has suggested me 6 weeks ( every day 1 tablet). Is that sufficient ? or should I check with my doc again? also I know you said its least severe but to clarify myself nothing serious right? also can you tell me what caused this issue to me please? How about the intestines ? are they covered in this test too? I am sorry I could not ask all these questions to my doc as I was in seduction. Thanks again for your kindest reply. XXXX

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Yes continue taking Nexpro 40. It is a wonderful medication. You can also take sucralfate along with Nexpro for faster relief. It is available as sucrafil and you take 10 ml four times a day. Yes, there is nothing serious. There are many different causes and the most likely cause you have this lesion is acid reflux disease. Only the first 10-15 cm of the upper part of small intestine ( called duodenum ) is screened during this test and it appears normal in your case. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini