Underwent HbA1c test. Should I be worried about the findings?

Hi Dr. XXXXXXX My name is XXXXXXX an employee of Deloitte and i have recieved my HbA1c reports last week. It showed my Glycosylated Haemoglobin is 6.5%. I would like to know what kind of precautions i have to follow to bring it to normal. Fasting Plasma Glucose is 126. Post Lunch it is 173 Please suggest your advices. Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: lifestyle changes Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. HbA1c above 5.7 %, FBS more than 126 mg/dl and PPBS more than 200 mg/dl is diagnostic of Diabetes. In this condition I would advice my patient the following. Exercise: Good physical activity, 45 mins of brisk walking or aerobic workout for 5 days a week. maintain body weight. Diet: Low carbohydrate(Whole grains), low fat diet. Increase dietary fibers in the form of vegetables, greens and fruits. Medication: Metformin has to be started. All the above methods will help bring down HbA1c and control blood sugar. Continue all the above advice for 3 month and repeat Blood sugar and HbA1c test. Based on the results the doctor will decide on further treatment options. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if there is any clarification. Regards.
Follow-up: Underwent HbA1c test. Should I be worried about the findings? 9 minutes later
How to take Metformin daily? No of times and dosage for each time. Please tell us. For the diet, can i still take rice atleast once a day? Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Can take rice. Detailed Answer: Hello, I would start mefortin 500 mg twice a day in my patient. You can take a cup of rice one a day. regards.