Underweight. Suggest ways to put on some weight

Geriatrics Specialist
I had lost my weight and now i'm underweight with 5'10 height and 57 kg wt. though i even know the reason behind that as well. But i don't know how by joining gym or other options , thing is i am not sure about 1 method to gain weight and have little pounds on body.
please do the needful, i will really be grateful to you for your this kind act
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 4 hours later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing to us,

From your height and weight provided, the body mass index of you is 17.8(underweight).

Normal BMI is between 18.5 to 24.9.

You can put on weight by doing the following home work.

First, make an list for the amount of calories you are taking a day, then add up half the amount in extra in your daily diet.(if you had hard on calculating calorie, just google , you will find the value of calorie for your eatables.

Add protein to your diet by increasing intake of pulses, egg, nuts etc, they help to build your body. Have lots of green vegetables and fresh fruits. You should also keep variety of assorted nuts ready as handy snacks.

Workout to some extent, as this helps to spread the amount of calories you gain, proportionately.
Above all, Determination plays a key role in gaining weight. You need to plan your diet and workout sessions and stick to it.

It helps to fetch you 1 to 2 pounds of weight weekly.

If you need further guidelines, get a dietitian opinion.

Hope, I answered your query.

Let me know if you have future question.