Undergone surgery to repair stretched ligaments. Tendons on shoulder, knee and ankle. Swelling in left temple. Suggest treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a 16 year old daughter that has had surgery to repair stretched ligaments and tendons in her shoulder, knee, and ankle. All of these in the last five years. Recently she has had back and chest pain with a CRP level of 25. She now has pain and swelling in her left temple.
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestive of inflammatory arthritis

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case with diligence.

Raised CRP level with back and chest pain suggest active [recent] inflammatory arthritis
Possibility of rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing sodalities can be considered

When such patients come to our hospital I advise them blood test like RA factor, ACCP, ESR, complete blood count, HLA B27.

Rheumatoid arthritis may involve small joints and early morning stiffness in joints, does she have such complain?
Ankylosing spondylitis typically involve spine and hips with other large joint also. There is reduced chest function in this disease. Stiffness in spine is increased does she have such stiffness in spine?

As she is having stretched joint ligament there is possibility of hyper mobile syndrome like ehler danlos.
A treatment regimen for Rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis involves medication, exercise, good posture practices, and other treatment options such as applying heat/cold to help relax muscles and reduce joint pain.
NSAIDs, DMARDs (disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs) are sometimes prescribed in more severe cases. These include methotrexate and sulfasalazine.Corticosteroid injections for severe pain and inflammation in a specific joint.TNF-a inhibitors, a newer class of biologic medication.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.