Undergone scope surgery for a torn porteur horn medial and scraping cartilage in patella. Meniscus torn shown in MRI. Suggest cure

Hello I had a scope surgery done to day. it was for a torn porteur horn medial and scraing the cartalse in the patella. After an mri 21 moths ago and one 7 weeks ago both showing same torn meniscus. Today the ortho said tear in meniscus is heal by itself. I have walked 3 miles home because of cell phone trouble. Knee hurts the same and still minor stiffness as the past 22 months. Mostly the knee cap and down to feet and back of knee hurts. Should it get a second ortho to check it? Thanks XXXX
I will send photos he gave me. sorry about my spelling. Very tired. Also how much of a permanent impairment do you think I will have with all the scraping done. To the patella Cartlage?
Ok hope you got the pics. Thanks XXXX
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No improvement: second opinion in 2 weeks time

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX and welcome.

Thanks for writing in.

I have gone through your query and attached images with diligence. Responding to your queries in sequence, firstly, the meniscus is a ligament which does not have a blood supply to it, and so it will not heal on its own.

Secondly, the scraping done during arthroscopy is a procedure that will/should help reduce your symptoms, it will not cause any impairment, at all.

And third, the arthroscopy assisted surgery was conducted most recently and might not show immediate results, give it sometime (about 10-14 days) and get some bed rest, without straining your knee much, and even after that if your symptoms persist, then get a second opinion.

I hope you found my response both helpful and informative, please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.