Undergone left DNS correction surgery. Should I be worried for low platelet count?

Read more: My platelel count is just 0000 / cumm and found in Aug2011. Is it always matter of concern? - I did not feel any health problem for that. My B.T. & C.T. was found 3 min 10 sec and 4 min 55 sec respectively in April 2012. I only undergone left DNS correction surgery in June2012 because of recurrent epitaxis with only left nasal/sinuses infection with blood stained nasal discharge and pain in left eye brow in this time
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Platelet count of 0000/cumm does not cause any serious complications. Such a count is sufficient to maintain the hemostasis.

Only intervention needed now is just to observe the count constantly. If there is reduction of the count goes below 0000/cumm then you may have to initiate treatment.

A count below 0000/cumm can lead to complications like XXXXXXX bleeding and has to be treated with platelet concentrate transfusion and steroid injections.

Also, I consider that the DNS, epistaxis and the sinusitis you had previously may not be related to the low platelet count you had that time.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Undergone left DNS correction surgery. Should I be worried for low platelet count? 45 hours later
does low platelet count always mean I need blood transfusion in older age? How frequent it should be checked? Is it necessary I start my treatment from now? I don't find anything wrong with me till now. If some thing complicated happen would there be other symptoms- what are those? this count can be improved by improving dietary improvement/supplement? If so to what extent?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

As I mentioned above you may become symptomatic and need treatment only when the count goes below 0000/cumm.

If the count goes below 0000/cumm symptoms like bleeding from the mucosal surfaces is the first to be encountered. Later symptoms due to organ failure in systems involved will be noticed.

You may have to get your blood counts checked at-least three months once to observe the levels.

Yes, diet with good vitamin content will surely help. You can also take multivitamin supplements on daily basis.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.