Undergone eye check up. Advised to wear glasses. How to get rid of this?

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
Dear Doc....
I took my son who is 8 years old for a eye check up this morning. Herewith I have attached reports. The Eye surgeon has recommended that he use glasses or rather specks. Kindly advice if he needs to continue with glasses for life time OR by time to come that he can get rid of them with current condition of his eyes. Also are both eyes effected and how bad is it. Any possible cause for this. Is there any special type or recommended glasses to be used for easy handling for my son. Many thanks !
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 19 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Your son has hypermetropia (far sightedness) with astigmatism. It is very difficult to say whether he will require them for life or not because as the child grows so do his eyes. The hypermetropia (+0.5D) is very small and can be even ignored but the astigmatism needs corrective glasses. For the next few years he will require his eyes to be checked every 6-12 months as the number will change.

Yes, both eyes of your son are affected.

You can ask your optician to show you the various types of lenses that are available and you can make a choice as all the lenses - both glass and plastic - are equally good. Your son is old enough to handle them and he will be pleased to use them as his vision will be better with the use of the glasses. However, it may take some time for him to adjust to the lenses.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your son all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl

Follow-up: Undergone eye check up. Advised to wear glasses. How to get rid of this? 9 minutes later
Dear Doc...
Appreciate your quick and very clear response... Shall close and review soon...Thanks !

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 minutes later

I appreciate your views and shall be grateful if you can provide a feedback when you close the query.

I feel happy that I could be of some assistance to you and your son.

Wishing your son and you all the best.

Rajiv

Follow-up: Undergone eye check up. Advised to wear glasses. How to get rid of this? 20 hours later
Doc.....May I know the reason for this. Is it lack of nutrition ???? Also does he need to wear the specks full time ??? Is it OK only during school hours and while doing his home work.

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 13 minutes later

Thank you for the queries that you have raised.

This problem is not due to any nutritional deficiency. The hypermetropia can be due to the lens or the size of the eyeball whereby the image on the retina is not forming sharply. The astigmatism is due to the curvature of the cornea and/or lens.

It will be better if your son wears the spectacles full time. He himself shall feel better with them. However to start with you can make him wear the spectacles during school hours and while he is doing his home work till he becomes comfortable wearing them. It may take some time for your son to adjust to the spectacles.

I hope I have addressed your concerns.

Wishing your son all the best.

Rajiv