Undergone chemotherapy for bone tumor. Having severe oligoasthenospermia. Suggestions?

Question
regarding low sperm count and motility
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need more information

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I am sorry about your current problem of Oligoasthenospermia.

Please let me know more in detail about your concern specially your smoking history and work history.

We could resolve this problem if it is not very severe. Can you share the semen analysis report with me? You have a feature to upload the report by yourself on the right side of this query page. You may want to utilize it.

Awaiting your response

Follow-up: Undergone chemotherapy for bone tumor. Having severe oligoasthenospermia. Suggestions? 5 days later
Hi Shanthi,

I don't smoke but I used to occasionally drink alcohol on weekly basis , which I have stopped long back. I am a IT professional .Most of the time sitting at one place .

Regarding , sperm count was 3 millions with 50% motility and poor morphology . When last time I got SA done , I used to work in night shifts .

I had undergone through chemotherapy for bone tumor 11 years back . I am not sure whether my present condition is due to past history of cancer treatment. I have read some experiments and research papers on spermatagenosis recovery after chemo treatment , which says either it comes back to normal after 3-4 years or never .

I have tried some ayurvedic medicines like spemen , but ended up with no results .

XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Last semen analysis report is not ideal result

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for getting back to me with the details.

I am glad you do not smoke. Keep it up! Alcohol on weekly basis is not good; make it once a month.

The last semen analysis report is not a good result. Sperm count of 3 millions is pretty less. Normal is 20 million. Motility is good but morphology is poor. Sorry about this.

Yes, chemotherapy can cause suppression of Spermatogenesis. But what were the drugs used for chemotherapy in you, and for how long was the treatment? If you could give me these details, I can opine more specifically if Chemotherapy was the actual cause of your oligoasthenospermia.

I am sorry; I am unaware of the Ayurvedic medicines. However, there is no much medical treatment available for Oligoasthenospermia. Yes, a glass of milk, dry fruits especially the almonds are good for spermatogenesis.

Hope this helps you.

Follow-up: Undergone chemotherapy for bone tumor. Having severe oligoasthenospermia. Suggestions? 8 hours later
Hi ,
Thank you so much for quick response

Here is the details of drugs used for my cancer treatment in the past :
1) Cyclophospamide
2) Vincristine
3) Andramycin

There were three 4 chemo cycles , one before surgery and 3 post surgery for 12 months .

Brief Answer:
The drugs are probable causes

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing the details.

Yes, cyclophosphamide causes gonadal suppression in both men and women. Vincristine causes azospermia in men. Adriamycin has no effects on spermatogenesis.

Perhaps, these drugs were the causes of your oligoasthenospermia. A total of 4 chemotherapy cycles of these drugs would have caused the defect.

Hope this answers your query.

Take care!