Undergoing medication for triglycerides. Blood test done. What does the value signify? What should I do?

Dear Doc,

I am undergoing medication for triglycerides (Atormac TG). My blood test report shows-
Triglycerides - 220.7mg/dl, HDL Cholesterol 34.1 mg/dl and LDL Cholesterol 85.5 mg/dl

I needed to check with you as to what are the specific exercises I should do in the gym and what I should not do. And it is more convenient for me to go to the gym at around 8 PM in the evening, so is there a problem with the late evening schedule.

Thanks for your time and the help!!

Posted Fri, 10 Aug 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 34 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
I am qualified and certified cardiologist and deals with problem on day to day basis in dozen of patients. I read your mail with diligence.
In India this problem of high triglycerides is much more common usually it is associated with obesity (often central obesity when your waist circumference >100 cm in men) it is given a special name Hypertriglyceridemic waist phenotype as an additional risk factor for coronary artery disease. If these values which you have written are despite the drug intake then you must do the following:
1. Cut sweet products to the maximum, almost eliminate those. Use sugar free
tablets (there is no long term harm). Eliminate sweets. Apart from modification
of fat intake whch your doctor would have prescribed.
2. I do not think you are taking Niacin, a preparation Niacin NF(Nouveau) has very
little side effects. Ask your doctor to prescribe this, at least in my patients this
has not produced flushing. Of course Statins and fenofibrates which your doctor
has prescribed has to continue under your doctor's supervision.

Seriously take your exercise schedule. If 8 PM is conducive to your work schedule, no problem about that. Do not take alcohol. Good luck.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: Undergoing medication for triglycerides. Blood test done. What does the value signify? What should I do? 10 minutes later

Many thanks for your prompt and detailed reply.

Can you please share the function that Niacin performs - so that I am better able to discuss with my doctor.

Many thanks once again.

Best regards,
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 20 minutes later
Here is the list of benefits of Niacin (Vitamin B3) as far as cholestrol and its effects are concerned. It increases good cholestrol more than any other drug. Your HDL 34 is a separate risk factor if we take cholesterol and its component as risk factors. Please go through the following list.
High Bad Cholesterol and Lipid Component *
Total Cholesterol above 190 mg%, LDL above 130 mg%, VLDL above 40 mg%,
Triglycerides above 150 mg%, Apolipoprotein B above reference value
Low Good Cholesterol and Lipid Component: *
Apolipoprotein a below reference range for the lab and
HDL below 40 mg% for man & and 50 mg% for woman

Vitamin B3 will also turn fat into energy, as it is also involved in fat metabolism. Below are detailed some of the most important health benefits of this vitamin.

1. Niacin Lowers Cholesterol Levels

Vitamin B3 decreases the LDL (low-density lipid), TRIGLYCERIDES, IT INCREASES HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol levels, which is known as good cholesterol. In fact, the latter effect seems to be more prominent than the effect on LDL cholesterol. This vitamin is able to reduce cholesterol levels by preventing this substance from getting accumulated in the liver and on the arteries. For this, niacin needs to be taken in high doses and although it is very effective on its own, sometimes it may also be combined with other medication.

2. Vitamin B3 and the Prevention of Atherosclerosis

Niacin is also involved in the production of histamine, which is a chemical compound capable of dilating blood vessels. This way, blood circulation is improved to all the areas of the body, which means that hands and feet will benefit from this effect, too. When administered in high doses, inositol hexaniacinate - the form of niacin responsible for this effect, is able to prevent atherosclerosis. In addition, the risk of heart attack and peripheral vascular disease also decreases considerably. Blood circulation problems are often painful, but vitamin B3 is very reliable, both in the prevention and in the treatment of such disorders. The best effects are obtained when vitamin B3 is combined with a statin, a drug that is used for lowering cholesterol levels.

With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover,
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW