Undergoing external beam radiation for low grade prostate cancer. Sudden drop in platelet count. Reasons ?

Oncologist
Question
I am undergoing external beam radiation for ow grade prostate cancer. My platelet was 50 k I was given Nplate one shoot and it went up to 167 first week ,289 the next week and 122 the third week it dropped to 32 today. I am going to get another nplate shot tomorrow and take my radiation treatment.
My dr. said after she would put me back on a course of rubitux for four weekly infusions . My question is I am I safe for now at 32 k platelets . Thanks ! I am a worried old guy.

WHAT DO YOU FEEL CAUSED SUCH A BIG DROP IN A SHORT TIME .iS IT THE RADIATION TREATMENTS? i HAVE HAD EVERY TEST AND A BONE MARROW BIOPHY
ALL SHOW NORMAL.
Posted Tue, 26 Jun 2012 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

At this point you're platelet count is not XXXXXXX We now know from many years of research that having a platelet count above 10,000 will generally prevent spontaneous bleeding. In the setting of a procedure or surgery having a platelet count above 30,000 is regarded as relatively safe as well.

It is difficult to exactly pinpoint the reason why the platelet count dropped. In your case I suspect that this is due to ITP or idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura. This is a disorder where the immune system becomes activated and platelets are consumed.

Generally we was steroids to help treat this disorder but sometimes additional medications are required such as Rituxan. In some cases doctors may recommend that the spleen be removed in order to help get this under control. Again each case is taken individually.

I would not focus too much on the numbers at this point. I am sure your doctors have good ideas regarding what to do regarding your platelets. It is important to focus on maintaining good health while your prostate cancer is being treated.

I think you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert