Undergoing IUI, took ovidrel shot. How one determines the size & releasing of follicles post IUI ultrasound?

Undergoing IUI #1. Have one follicle at 13.2mm and one at 24mm. I took an Ovidrel shot the night of these stats. They explained to me that the 13.2 could catch up and therefore possibly be viable. I understand that the O shot causes the follicles to continue to grow up to 1-2 mm per day. What I do not understand is how do they determine post IUI ultrasound what sizes they
"were" (seems impossible) right before actual IUI procedure, and how does the Dr. know how many released? I have found no information explaining this...I have found some info on forums indicating that it is impossible to really know. Thanks
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 31 hours later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

Follicular studies very much depend on the day on which the scans were done. In a normal cycle, several follicles start growing from day 1. Out of the many small follicles, only a few mature enough to release the eggs.
The scans are done from day9,11,13,14,15 16. In most cases,the matured follicles grow upto their maximum size and then rupture, thereby releasing the ova/eggs. This happens approximately between day 13-15 in most women. Hence when the ultrasound is done on these days, the sizes of the follicles are noted and rate of growth of the follicles are approx calculated. It has been reported that XXXXXXX follicles have to grow at least between 18-22mm before they rupture to release eggs. The size of the ruptured follicle shrinks after ovulation. This is the basic science behind follicular studies.

To answer your question,
1. How do they determine post IUI ultrasound what sizes they were......?
My answer: You had 2 large follicles impending rupture. One was 13.2 and one was 24mm. Judging by the sizes, I would say that the scan was done on day 13-14 of your cycle. The larger follicle is definitely matured enough to ovulate probably due to the shot given to you (a hormone). This hormone shots give an extra boost of growth to the smaller ones.

It's not possible to determine exactly what size they are before rupture as it is not possible to predict when ovulation will occur. A scan can be done the next day , the size of follicles is measured again to check increase or decrease. Accordingly, the last known measurements are taken as XXXXXXX size attained.
Though the exact size attained may never be known; a calculated estimate is made based on previous and follow up scans.

2. How does the doctor know how many released?
My answer: A matured follicle referred to as graffian follicle ruptures releasing a single per follicle.

I hope that I was able to clarify your doubts.

Please contact me for queries. I will be available to answer them as well.