Uncontrolled eye movements, central apnea, atrial ectopy, oxygen desaturation

Are these things related? Should I be worried?

I've been having rapid uncontrolled horizontal eye movm't which is increasing in frequency and duration. Have had confirmed episodes of PLM without associated cortical arousals, central apneas, and oxygen desaturation w/a XXXXXXX of 84%. The doctors look into my eyes, but when it isn't happening. Does atrial ectopy have any relation? I'm worried because a doctor described another test as my brain not knowing where my head is.That sounds funny but they are serious. Are these related? Who should I see? This is from different doctors. Also but probably unrelated are some serious spinal cervical, thoracic and lumbar damage (w/ cervical fusion.)

Tags: central apnea, uncontrolled eye movement, PLM w/o cortical arousal, atrial ectopy, oxygen desaturation, head, eyes, brain
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 6 hours later

From the information submitted I assume that you are having involuntary eye movements called as “Nystagmus”. Nystagmus occurs due to abnormality in the center for eye movement control (Cerebellum and its connections). There can be multiple conditions causing this abnormality.

However there is no relation between these eye movements and atrial ectopics.

I would like to know if you have done MRI of the brain. If not, I think you should do MRI of the brain to look for causes of nystagmus. A neurologist after a detailed neurological examination would be able to guide you through the test.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.

Wish you good health.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist