Unconscious after falling, migraine when overheating, exercising or noise, family history of migraine

Orthopaedic Surgeon
27 yrs old, 127lbs, the only migraine that ran in my family was my brother and its because he had an eye condition where he couldnt control the movement which caused his migraines. ISSUE: i fell down some concrete stairs and passed out. i woke up with a migraine that lasted an entire week. every since the fall.. i get migraines when i get overheated, and after i excercise and sometimes when there is to much noise. i was told that my migraines didnt come from me falling downstairs...but i never got a migraine until after i fell down the stairs. can you please give me some advice? thanks
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 26 minutes later

You have provided with good information, but I would like to know some more things to guide you better.

1. Are you having any memory disturbance?

2. Is there any difficulty in walking and maintaining balance?

3.Do you see flashes of light during the headaches or experience any sounds before the headaches begin?

Usually migraine headache runs in the family and is seen more commonly in females.

The history you have provided points more in favour of chronic headache seen after head and neck trauma called Post traumatic migraine.

It can be caused even by relatively minor head trauma followed by loss of conciousness briefly. It is classically seen in patients in range of 15 to 60 years of age.

Usually migraines are precipitated by loud noise, bright light, stress, chocolate, coffee, colas, alcohol as well. So, kindly stay away from these precipitating factors.

There is one more possibility also which needs to be evaluated like Chronic Subdural Haematoma as well. You will need to confirm by examination and relevant investigations like a Computed Tomogram (CT Scan) as even this condition can develop after head trauma and cause chronic headaches.

Usual medication prescribed for Post traumatic migraine include Propranolol and Amytriptylline. You need to discuss about this with your Doctor, as I am not able to understand the drug name you have provided which you take for migraine.

There is good therapy for migraine. One is the acute therapy to abort an acute attack and the other is preventive therapy. The preventive therapy is usually achieved by Propranolol which needs to be taken for few days to week which will help to prevent attack of migraine. This treatment is very effective.

Eat healthy. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Exercise daily. Consult your Doctor before taking oral contraceptive pills as they can aggravate migraine. Try to reduce stress, do Yoga for relief.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Unconscious after falling, migraine when overheating, exercising or noise, family history of migraine 1 hour later
As far as memory sometimes I will get ready to do something and in the process of getting ready to do it I will forget what I was about to do. Most of the time I will remember later on. Another example is that I lost my debit card. I had my debit card in my hand with my phone and was walking to work. In between that time I could not remember where I put it down at or even could have lost it at.

As far as balance I have no problem that I am aware of. Sometimes I trip or double step but I assume that's normal.

I do see tiny clear bubbles that float in my vision. They are really tiny and clear and sometimes blue and they wander throughout my sight. The amount of dots and bubbles range anywhere from 1 - 20 of the clear bubbles and only one of the blue dots that I see at a time.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 10 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query.

Have these changes in memory and gait taken place after the head trauma? If yes, it could be part of the symptom complex of a possible chronic subdural haematoma. But nothing is conclusive without clinical examination and investigations.

Regarding the bubbles, it could be 'floaters' which can occur in normal individuals but if too many are there and frequent occurence, it could be symptom of inherent eye disease. If you have any eye complaints, poor vision, blurry vision, eye pain as well, you can consult your Ophthalmologist for a thorough checkup.

Avoid straining eyes, drink enough water. Do regular eye movement exercise.

Kindly get a full checkup by your Neurologist for the right diagnosis and management of your condition.

I hope, I have answered your query.