Uncomfortable feeling in right arm and shoulder. Tingling in fingers. Taking Nutophen. Aching and tired. Suggest the cure?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have had a very uncomfortable feeling in my right arm and shoulder with some tingling in my fingers. This shoulder pain has been waking me in the night and I have had to take Nutophen plus to eleviate the pain. This pain has been coming and going over the last month but seems to aching a lot more in the last week or so. I am also tired. The only medication I am on is HRT for 18 months.
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
What you are experiencing is called Radiculopathy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and Thanks for your query.

What you are experiencing is called 'Radiculopathy'. It basically suggests entrapment of a nerve root in your cervical spine in its origin or course.

It can be caused by lifting weights, episodes of over-exertion during work, long hours on computer, inappropriate posture while sleeping or sitting, lack of proper nutrition-exercises-rest-recreation or any other relevant past medical history.

If it has been persistent or even increasing since few days, you need to visit your orthopaedician. Depending upon the clinical findings they might ask you to get an MRI done, which shall help establish a diagnosis and in turn allow one to formulate a treatment plan.

Let me assure you that this is temporary and self limiting illness that usually the treatment goes in following lines: rest, lifestyle modifications (namely- avoiding pillow while sleeping, following a healthy diet plan, maintaining suitable posture while working on computer/driving, avoiding any activity that strikes neck discomfort), medications (that your physician prescribes) and most important physiotherapy ( in form of neck exercises, cervical traction if required along with local ultrasonics).

In case the pain is not adequately relieved with the present treatment then you may need oral muscle relaxants and methylcobalamnin supplements for proper relief.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.