Unable to stretch finger normally at night. What is the cure and cause?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
my middle finger of left hand closes and I am unable to stretch it normally. It happens mostly during night times only. During daytime it is normal. no dificulty during daytime. It closes and opens normally without pain.What is the reason and remedy? It so happened 4 or 5 years back.After prolonged treatment with medicines( pain killers ) I ignored it with doctors advice. Now again It recurred.
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: It seems to be trigger finger. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. From description it seems to be trigger finger. Often painful, trigger finger is caused by a narrowing of the sheath that surrounds the tendon in the affected finger. Stiffness and catching tend to be worse after inactivity, such as in night or when you wake in the morning. Your fingers will often loosen up as you move them. If symptoms are mild, resting the finger may be enough to resolve the problem. You may use a splint to keep your finger in a neutral, resting position. Do gentle exercises with the affected finger. This can help you to maintain mobility in your finger. For at least three to four weeks, avoid activities that require repetitive gripping, repeated grasping or the prolonged use of vibrating hand-held machinery. If the pain is more, you can take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs — ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others ) to reduce pain and inflammation. An injection of a steroid medication, such as a glucocorticoid, near or into the tendon sheath also can be used to reduce inflammation of the sheath. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care Warm Regards
Follow-up: Unable to stretch finger normally at night. What is the cure and cause? 3 hours later
what is meant by splint? is it available in medical shop or with medical proctitioner? please advise me.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Splint is a kind of support Detailed Answer: Hi, Splint is a kind of support. You can get finger splint from a medical shop.