Unable to sleep after recovering from inner ear infection. Back pain. Am smoking. Worried about lung cancer

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi there, in the last 4 weeks i had a case of labrinthitus an inner ear infection which has been clarified to be clear, but since then i havent been able to sleep on time, im not sure if this might be anxiety. but i have been getting a mild pain on my left upper back which is not constant, it only occurs mainly at night. and i have been smoking for 2 years now, and i am worried that i may have lung cancers? can you please put my mind to ease. i have no cough, or blood in my mucus. and am not feeling breathless, or wheezing.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 4 hours later
Hi there.

Have you lost significant weight recently ?

Are you getting enough sleep at night ?

Do you get palpitations, hand tremors, increased sweating often ?

Do you work long hours or under a lot of stress lately ?

It is always advisable to avoid smoking because of the risk of respiratory infections, chronic damage to the respiratory tract, high chance of lung cancer as well.

The pain on the left upper back most commonly could be due to bad posture at work while working on your computer. It is advisable to sit comfortably and support the back of your head well against the chair you sit on. Avoid much strain to neck by turning or cocking your neck to one side often.

Since you do not have cough, blood in sputum, do not worry about lung cancer just now but do be aware of the strong possibility if you continue smoking, Kindly do join a Hospital programme to wean off and quit smoking.

Eat a balanced diet. Keep well hydrated. Do daily brisk walking for 40 minutes a day as it releases natural pain killers into the body and also helps to get good sleep. Do Yoga for stress relief.

You may apply a pain killing gel which has the drug Diclofenac in it, like Volini or Volitra. It can be applied thrice a day for 5 days. Even when you sleep at night, try to maintain good posture and avoid much strain on your neck or upper back.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.