Ask a Urologist   »  

Unable to pass urine. Hospitalized. Having body pain. Advised not to take orthopedic medicines. suggestions?

My mother (Age 68 yrs) got hospitilized yesterday as she was not able to pass the urine. Doctors managed to and she did pass above 2 lits of urine. Later today we gt th sonograohy report on kidney but seems nothing wrong there and looks positive. She is also suffering from severe bone/body ache since over a year and lots of medications could be a reason casued some over load on her kidneys. She is still under observation. Current doctore has asked not take orthopedic medicines which may lead her to suffer with more pain to manage her current issue in long term what could be the best combination of medicines that she can take managing both of the problems.

Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 12 hours later
Dear Sir,

Your mother had retention of urine and drained 2 L of urine on catheterisation. Normal capacity of bladder is only 400ml. Your mother's bladder has been stretched beyond the normal limits and I shall be concerned about the recoverability of the bladder function. You need to keep her catheterised for few days and start her on tablet Urivoid three times daily and C. Silofast 8 mg twice daily for at least 1 week prior to removal of catheter.

It is good to hear that her kidneys are functioning well and this catheterisation is going to improve the kidneys further. As far as the pain issues are concerned you can ask your doctor to put her on Tramadol. Tramadol is safe for kidneys and provides good pain relief.

I shall be happy to answer any further queries. Stay in touch.

Rajiv goel
Follow-up: Unable to pass urine. Hospitalized. Having body pain. Advised not to take orthopedic medicines. suggestions? 6 hours later
Your prompt reply is highly appreciated.

The doctors suspect not a retention problem but kidney malfunction. Nausea and swelling in the body had developed before admission, which is now much less. The urine passed on Lasix Infusion only not by itself when they put the catheter in.

She was on ace inhibitor for high bp and also pain killers for back pain. I gather that the two together are toxic to kidneys.

I would highly appreciate your feedback about prognosis and long term care to keep her kidneys safe.

Her doctor is XXXXXXX manoria in Bhopal and his number is 0000 0000 in case you may need more info or inform them about proper medication use.

Thanks XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 4 hours later
Dear Sir,

Both pain killers and ace inhibitors are toxic for kidneys.

She had developed acute renal failure. However, the good thing is that her kidneys have opened up and she is producing good amount of urine.

At this point of time nothing more needs to be done other than observe her for her urine output as well renal functions.

It shall be great if you could send me her ultrasound KUB report.

Rajiv goel