Ask a Dentist   »  

Unable to open mouth properly due to chewing tobacco. How to solve this problem?

Dentist
Question
Due to my tobacco chewing habit, my mouth is not opening properly. How can I solve this problem?
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 48 minutes later

Thanks for asking the query.

Chewing of tobbacco leads to many oral hazards.

Oral cancers are caused due to chronic use of tobacco chewing and tobacco smoking it leads to ulcerations, infections and, malignancies that can be confirmed by clinical evaluation.

Oral submucous fibrosis (OSMF) is a chronic disease of the oral mucosa which is characterized by inflammation and progressive fibrosis followed by stiffening of the oral mucosa resulting in inability to open the mouth. It is characterized by inability to open the mouth, pain and burning sensation of the oral mucosa.

Patients with OSMF have increased risk of developing oral cancers.
Therefore, you need to discontinue the habit.

I would suggest you to approach to Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon and clinical examination done , take an OPG x-ray Which will show the entire picture of the oral hard tissues.

Meantime you can go for symptomatic treatment by doing complete mouth scaling and polishing .
Maintain a good oral hygiene to prevent superinfection.
Use saline water gargles 3-4 times a day.
Use antiseptic mouthwash solution and topical analgesic.

Take antioxidants suplements.
At home do mouth exercises like forcefully opening and closing of mouth 5-10 times keep one finger in the mouth, slowly try to increase one finger every time . Try to blow air forcefully 4-5 times daily.
Take vitamin suplements.

Avoid eating hot and cold stuffs, aerated and carbonated drinks, take a balanced diet . Drink plenty of water and keep yourself hydrated.

Further treatment will be decided on clinical and radiological evaluation I would suggest you to concern the Dentist and get the treatment started.

Feel free to ask any other query.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Dr Qazi Ammara.

Follow-up: Unable to open mouth properly due to chewing tobacco. How to solve this problem? 6 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for your Suggestion.
Last time i did the check in Manipal Healthcare center bangalore india & now i dont have any issue.i already quit the smoking last 2 month back.Now i just wanted to know some general medicine to do some exercise and expand the mouth opening size,

Please suggest some external medicine OR some antitoxin medicine.

Thank you XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 16 minutes later

Thanks for the reply,

Its very nice that you have quit the habit.
First of all you need to analyse the amount of mouth opening, depending upon which the treatment will be decided.

There are certain excercises which can be done at home , like forcefully opening and closing of mouth 5-10 times every day , you can check the amount of mouth opening by keeping a finger inside, if you are able to keep two fingers then the amount of mouth opening has increased gradually.

There are some excercises which are done in the clinic for this you need to visit to oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon as I have mentioned above, certain injections are also given to increase mouth opening.

Take Tab Becosules Once daily for 30 days.

If you are having other symptoms like burning of oral mucosa pain, you can go for Kennocort paste topical application three times daily.

Hope this helps ,

Regards.

Dr Qazi Ammara.

Follow-up: Unable to open mouth properly due to chewing tobacco. How to solve this problem? 16 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for your suggestion, but as i know Becosules is the multi vitamin capsule, its egnral capsule mean anyone can take this , i am asking about some thing related to my mouth. currently my mouth opening 2 finger.

Please suggest some more medicine related to mouth.

Thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 17 minutes later

Thanks for the prompt reply,

It will be better if you take the medications after visual examination of your mouth. Get a checkup done.

Generally injection Dexmur 1 ampule , inj Placentrax 1ampule diluted with lignocaine solution is given in the oral cavity to increase mouth opening. Only a Dentist will be able to do this.

You can continue with mouth exercises, take the medications regularly and use saline water gargles at home. Please be patient as your condition will take time to recover.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Dr Qazi Ammara.