Unable to open eyes, very painful. Works at chicken plant. What could be the reason?

yes my husband can open his eyes without them feeling like razor blades. he works at a chicken plant and rides motorcycles. he doesn't know what happened. when he wakes they are matted shut he cant open them, what do you think it could be,,, he has appt soon but he is scaring me
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 10 days later
Thanks for posting query.
From history it seems that your husband might have Muco-purulant Conjunctivitis giving rise sticking eyes due to collection of pus on eye lashes.
It seems that he might have got this infection while doing work at chicken plant or some infection got from dust or some foreign body gone into his eyes.
When he awakes, clean both eyes with warm water with cotton plugs and gradually remove pus from eye lashes and then he will open his eyes without pain.
Put antibiotic eye drops every 2-3 hourly.
If required he may take one antibiotic medicine course orally after consulting your doctor.
Consult Ophthalmologist to rule out any other problem in eyes like corneal ulcer.
Ask him to wear goggles to prevent infection to others.
I hope, I answered your query.
If you have further query or clarification, please ask.
I will be pleased to answer.
Ok and take care.
Dr. Ramesh Vachharajani.