Unable to clear chest, feels like a ball of mucus. Why is voice hoarse? Is it due to smoking?

i am a 36 year old smoker and don't seem to be able to clear my chest feels like a ball of mucus is stuck there and i cant couhg it up also my voice seems to have got a bit hoarse am i dying
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Abid 1 hour later
Hi there...

These problems definitely would not take away your life. There is a lot that you can do to avoid or prevent these problems. Remember that these are potentially reduce your life span by days.

Smoking irritates the airways and induce inflammation that produces mucous and patient can have cough,chest tightness often associated with infection,sometime smoking involves voice box (Larynx) and give rise to voice problem,if you try to give off smoking gradually epithelial lining of airways starts healing and cough,mucous,and other chest symptoms settles.

So if at this stage you decide to quit smoking,alcoholism you will be safe from lethal effect of both smoking and alcoholism.You are not going to die but its alarming sign for you to get rid of smoking.Try to quit that as early as possible,you will be ok.

You can take over the counter decongestants available. Your Pharmacist can help you find the right one. Also steam inhalations five times a day are the best bet.

Regards,in future if you need my help please ask by name dr abid.
Thanks and wish you good health.