Unable to bend due to tightness in the back of knees. What could be the problem?

I woke up with severe pain/tightness /cramping in the back of my knee and back of my thigh. I can extend my leg fully without much pain, but when I bend my knee there is pain (about a 7) and a tightness like it is swollen. My husband has looked at it but says he sees no swelling. I can not bend my knee without pain in the back of my knee and thigh.
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Appears to be Hamstring muscle spasm/pull Detailed Answer: Dear Ms. XXXX, I understand the amount of pain you are currently going through. As per the history you have provided, it appears more likely to be Hamstring muscle spasm or Hamstring pull. I would suggest you the following: 1. Rest to the limb 2. Hot fomentation to the local area. Apply local diclofenac (Voltarin) gel. 3. Analgesics like Ibuprofen will provide the much needed relief. 4. Also skeletal muscle relaxant like Chlorxoxazone can be used if available over the counter 5. Slow gradual resumption of movements of the affected knee I hope it help. Would be happy to assist in case you have further queries. Wish you speedy recovery. Take care. Best regards Dr. T. Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD