Ultrasound showing moderate enlargement of prostate. Suggest suitable treatment apart from surgery?

Hello Doctor, I am urgently require your help /advise to a specific urological problem. My father ,aged 75 years having diabetic for lat 22 years,taking insulin twice a day and other medicine for blood pressure, B-complex, and prostate medicine for last 15 years. In the year 2001 he underwent operation for Prostate by TURF method in Appolo,Chennai and again in the year 2007 second time by the same method. Abou 15 days before he faced with aproblem of passing of urine and local dr. put a pipe in the penis and advised to carry out test. The test revealed Sugar 225 mg/dl, Urea Serum -30/dl, Urea Nitrogen serum- 14 mg/dl ,PSA- 3.28 mg/dl, HIv-Negative, Hepatitis C viruis-Negative,Hemoglobin-13.2 g/dl, RBc Count-4.83, MCV-79.3,MCH-27.3,MCHC-34.5,TLC-7.2,Platelate -160,Neutrophils-73,Lymphocytes-21,Esonophiles-03,Monosite-03 Ultrsound Report- Kidney Normal in Size, Bladder-Normal in Size, Prostate- Moderate enlargement in Sioze(53cc)and shows asmooth outlineand uniform ecogenesity- Impression:-Moderate Prostatomegaly,The locol urologist is of the opinion to go for 3rd surgery by TURF method, Please suggest me is there only urinery insfection or surgery is the must. Even after surgerry is there chance that it shall re-appears again after 3-4 years, IF surgery is must then what latest method is best suitable to the patient whose history has been depicted as above
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...given below Detailed answer. Hello, Thanks or the query. I understand your confusion on this issue but the fact is that considering his age and chronic and longstanding diabetes,the only method left is repeat surgery by TURP method only.Your urologist is right when he advises for repeat TURP. it is possible for remnant prostate tissue to grow back again and cause the problem. For satisfaction purpose,you may however take an alternate opinion from some other urologist also. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck. Thanks