Ultrasound showed renal pelvis dilatation. Is there any risk in continuing the pregnancy?

Hi Doctor, My cousin is pregnant (20 weeks) and whose details are mentioned below. She had her ultrasound scan done yesterday, which revealed the following: Fetus shows Bilateral Mild Renal Pelvis Dilatation - for post natal evaluation. Diameter of Renal Pelvis measures 6mm on both sides.
Could you please help to know if there is any risk in continuing the pregnancy, and any complication expected during delivery and for teh child after birth. Thank you so much
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Bilateral renal pelvis dilatation in foetus is a worrisome finding for a would be mother. A dilatation of pelvis to 6mm is just a marginal dilatation and is not suggestive of any serious pathology.

In many cases the mild dilation is just part of the normal variation seen in babies. In some babies, however, the dilation may be due to obstruction (blockage) of the ureter, or reflux of urine. Both of these conditions are treatable.

There is no risk in continuing the pregnancy. No complications are expected during the delivery.

You need to keep monitoring the renal pelvis size in future scans also.

I Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.