Ultrasound showed pelvicalcyceal fullness in kidneys. What does it mean and what can be done as treatment?

Hi, my wife's ultrasound test mentions "mild pelvicalcyceal fullness in right kidney". It also mentions that both the kidneys are normal in size and homogeneity. What does mild pelvicacyceal fullness mean? and what can be done as a treatment? The report also mentions "no calculi found."
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 27 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Pelvicalyceal fullness means that there was a bit of dilation of the portion of your kidney which collects urine.This can sometimes happen if there is an obstruction in the ureter such as a kidney stone.

It could also be a normal anatomical variant that yours is a bit more dilated than average. This is something I would not worry about at all right now unless your wife is having issues with urination.

As far as the followup is concerned, it would be reasonable to document if this is a stable finding or is it resolving. If for some reason, if your wife develops any problems in urination, you could consult a urologist who can assess to see if there is anything of concern.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up queries, if any.