Ultrasound showed fibroids. Had intercourse and started bleeding. Pregnancy test negative. Chances of pregnancy?

Hi Dr. Grief, I am a 39 yo female. In August I began my first dose of Clomid (my last period was August 9th), had a blood test, had an Xray of my uterus performed, and was checked by ultrasound for fibroids. My blood tests showed that I was not menopausal and the xray showed my uterus and fallopian tubes were not blocked. I do have 5 fibroids but all still small and not blocking tubes. The Xray was done on day 9 of my cycle and my husband and I had sex the next day and then every other day for the week after. On day 22 I had light bleeding, dark brown in color, that lasted about a day and a half. I have not had any real signs of having my period. I am very regular, 26 day cycle, and heavy bleeding for 3-4 days. I took a HPT this past wed (9/26) and it was negative. Is it possible that I am pregnant but I am getting a false negative?
Posted Sun, 21 Oct 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
On 26th september, if your pregnancy test is negative, you can be sure that you are not pregnant. The mild bleeding you had on day 22 might be your light period.
A false negative result at more than 10 days past your due date of periods is not likely.
Since you are not having any signs of pregnancy, a false negative result s not likely. You will have to try again in the next cycle for pregnancy.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Ultrasound showed fibroids. Had intercourse and started bleeding. Pregnancy test negative. Chances of pregnancy? 25 hours later
Hi Dr. Tayal,

I would except that I had a light period but I have never had a light period since the day I began my period. Nor have I ever missed. Further, since that light bleeding, it has been 30+ days. My period has been regular for at least the last year as I have been tracking diligently since I had previous fibroids removed and have been trying to get pregnant. I have been on a cycle of 26 days, no more than 27 since last Fall. When I have my period, it is heavy and lasts for 3-4 days. When I say heavy, I wear a pad and use super tampons. I have to change them every hour on the heaviest days. I cannot guess when I am ovulating because I have not had a clear period since either August 9th or the light bleeding on August 30th. Is Clomid to blame for what seems to now be a highly irregular cycle? I was on 50 mg for 5 days. I guess I am not aware of the signs/symptoms of pregnancy. The one change that has been significant for me is that I have headaches and tender breasts. No morning sickness and no real significant cramping. If I had an ectopic pregnancy would an HPT come out positive? Just a little worried because my sister had an ectopic pregnancy and I have also had the fibroid surgery.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
A single time use of clomid is not likely to cause the irregular periods that you are having. Having headaches and tender breasts is suggestive of pregnancy. It is best to get serum Beta HCG levels evaluated to confirm about your pregnancy.
Even if it is an ectopic pregnancy, the pregnancy test should come weakly positive. Serum beta HCG levels will be more diagnostic in your case.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.