Ultrasound showed fetal pole, no heartbeat, bleeding after intercourse. Am I still pregnant?

im 29 years old. no health history. no allergy. this is my first pregnancy. i had a Ultrasound and vaginal us 1 weeks ago. they could only see the fetal pole so they did another US and vaginal us yesterday (7 days after). and they could see the embryon and yolk sac but no hearbeat. The only bleeding i had was 2 weeks ago after intercouse. i would say one pad of bleeding. no cramps or fever after. at the beginning of my pregnancy, i had a bronchitis (didnt took anything) and the gastro flu for 24 hours. i still feel pregnant. my bhcg is now 146 000. they kept rising in the last 2 weeks. my cycle was quite irregular, im off the pill since may 2011. my last first day of menstruation is novemeber 30, 2011, am i still pregnant? could my us dates be off? my dr says im 8 weeks pregnant. the us yesterday says im 6 weeks 2 days.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 minutes later

With your last menstrual period on 30th November, you should be more than 8 weeks pregnant. The gestation of 6 weeks 2 days on ultrasound might be suggestive of a delayed conception since you have a history of irregular periods.

The presence of yolk sac on ultrasound scan and rising titres of hcg are suggestive of a viable pregnancy. You need to wait for 7 to 10 more days for a visible heart beat on ultrasound scan.

The minor illnesses you had at the beginning of pregnancy are not likely to produce any adverse effect on the fetus.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Ultrasound showed fetal pole, no heartbeat, bleeding after intercourse. Am I still pregnant? 3 hours later
lets say that the us is right and im around 6 wks pregnant. does it mean we really need to see a heartbeat next week? im scheduled for another us next monday. what if i have no cramps no bleeding but no heartbeat next week? i have heard it can take to 9 weeks to see a hearbeat is that true?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
You need to wait for one more week to see the heart beat on ultrasound. Trans vaginal scan can pick heart beat at 7 weeks gestation whereas on abdominal scan sometimes the heart beat can be visualized after 8 weeks.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.