Ultrasound of abdomen done. What is Septations found inside the Cyst?

I had a Ultrasound of my Abdomen last week to re-check my large Liver Cyst. The Findings were:
Large complicated Cyst within the Liver 7.7 x 7.5 x 7.2 cm
The cyst contains XXXXXXX Septations and increased in size since 12/2011.

What is Septations found inside the Cyst?
Can the Liver function properly with such a large Cyst in it?
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 40 minutes later
Hello Phillipis
You have two queries
1.what does septa mean
2. Functioning of liver in the presence of a cyst.
The answers are

1. Septa means walls of tissue onside the cyst turning cyst into many compartments.
2.. Liver can function perfectly well in spite of such a large cyst in it.

You are most welcome to ask any other query.
Best of luck.
Follow-up: Ultrasound of abdomen done. What is Septations found inside the Cyst? 2 hours later
My report says it's a Complicated liver cyst.
What is the difference between Complicated vs. Simple Cyst?
When a Liver Cyst is Septa, is that serious?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Hello Philips
Cystic lesions of the liver are common and usually benign. The most frequent lesion is simple hepatic cyst: typical imaging findings make their diagnosis easy and they require no treatment. Complicated hepatic cysts (i.e., compression, hemorrhage, infection) have more variable imaging findings making diagnosis more difficult; they may evoke other diagnoses. Asymptomatic hepatic cysts do not require any treatment or follow-up. Symptomatic cysts may benefit from simple follow-up or may be treated by laparoscopic fenestration or alcohol sclerotherapy. The differential diagnosis of complicated hepatic cysts includes cystadenoma, cystadenocarcinoma, hydatid cyst, or cystic metastasis; surgical resection is usually indicated for these lesions.

Septa in the cyst means that the cyst has been segmented into various compartments.If the walls of septa are thick,then it is said that chances of malignancy is more.
Follow-up: Ultrasound of abdomen done. What is Septations found inside the Cyst? 17 hours later
can septation inside a liver cyst be benign
What cause septations inside a liver cyst
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
It is not necessary for septation inside a cyst to be malignant.It can be benign.
Septa are formed by the overgrowth of the tissues inside the cyst because of some infective or malignant process.